Subject: Re: [ubl-csc] Membership and voting

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 21:30, Tim McGrath wrote:
> my understanding of the intent of the "60 day rule" is to prevent
> stacking of committees before any voting.
That may have been one of the intents; the need to prevent people from
coming out of nowhere and suddenly become voting members without having
gone through any "socialization" period was also discussed.

> i dont have a concern on that front for UBL SCs., the TC process would
> always override that anyway.
>
> so i would favour the argument that says you can vote on SC issues prior
> to being a voting TC member.(ie no 60 days for SC membership).
>
> this would mean, for example, someone could vote for a motion in NDR
> that affected their spec., but not vote that it become a committee spec.
>  i dont have a problem with that as long as we make that clear to members.
> PS i suspect this is also easier to manage

Well, I actually think it's generally easier to manage consistency than
special cases ;-)

> CRAWFORD, Mark wrote:
>
> >Folks,
> >
> >An issue came up on today's NDR call that requires resolution.  As you may recall, we originally allowed for members of the SC's to be different than members of the TC.  This meant that we could add someone to the SC and have them become voting members without requiring them to be a voting member of the TC. Last year we decided that we would have all members of SCs become members of the TC.  This now means that new members of an SC need to also join the TC which means that  there is a 60 day waiting period.  However, if I understand Jon correctly, this 60 day waiting period does not apply to the SC.  So the question is - do we allow for membership in an SC to become effective before membership in the TC is.  This impacts on quorum and voting within the SC so is not trivial.  Thoughts?
> >
> >Mark

Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo.gutentag@Sun.COM
Web Technologies and Standards |         Phone:  +1 510 550 4616 x31442
Sun Microsystems Inc.          |         1800 Harrison St. Oakland, CA 94612
W3C AC Rep / OASIS TAB Chair