Subject: Re: [ubl-csc] Adding prospective UBL TC members to UBL subcommittees

At 2003-03-26 10:07 -0800, Jon Bosak wrote:
>Here's what I think we want.

Well said.

>A kind of breakthrough for me was the realization that "member" in
>Kavi simply means "R/W mail list subscriber."  What we call a
>member procedurally is what Kavi calls a "voting member."

That makes sense ... I was hung up on the word "member".

>If we want prospective TC members immediately to be able to post
>to the mail lists of the SCs in which they wish to participate
>(and I think we do)

I certainly do.

>If this is the case, then the only thing to be decided here is
>whether we want prospective TC members (who can't even post to the
>ubl list) to be able to vote in subcommittee meetings and, perhaps
>more importantly, to be counted toward a quorum in subcommittee
>meetings.  My hunch is that in general we don't,

I can live with that because the considered opinion of a respected member
will be influential regardless of whether or not they have a formal vote.

>in which case our
>policy should be (a) in the general case, to immediately register
>prospective TC members as nonvoting members of the SCs in which
>they wish to participate and change them to voting members of the
>SCs when they become full members of the TC, and (b) in the
>special case, to register prospective TC members as voting members
>of an SC if the SC has been set up that way.  I'm thinking in the
>latter case of the Liaison SC.
>
>Does this make sense?

It does to me, Jon ... thanks.  At what point will the TC have decided this
will be the way to proceed should everyone agree?  I need to contact my
FPSC prospective members and get them to be TC prospective members.

.............. Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO
                              North America:      June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc