Subject: Setting up the subcommittee portal for the public

Sorry, folks, to take up bandwidth, but I'm lost here.  I'm trying to look
at my subcommittee from different perspectives:

   (1) - me as chair
   (2) - a participating voting (vested or prospective) member
   (3) - an observer who is a member of OASIS
   (4) - a public observer who is not a member of OASIS

And it isn't clear yet to me what the new Kavi system is providing for
outsiders ... what I see are:

   (1) - an administrative interface for the chairman to manage
         membership, documents, events, ballots, actions, etc.
   (2) - a member interface to view and manage documents, events,
         ballots, actions, etc.
   (3) - a visitor interface to only view only those documents,
         events, ballots, actions, etc. that have been made public

.... but what about the public non-OASIS observer ... if the subcommittee
activities are to be "open to public scrutiny", then I'm not sure how the
"public non-OASIS visitor" gets to see documents that have been made public.

I also didn't see an email interface in Kavi (but I've gone into detail
more about that below....).

Given our policies of openness, should every document we make or post be
publicly viewable?

Also ... where does Kavi leave the subcommittee home pages ... or "portals"
as they have been called in the past?

At 2003-03-27 18:12 -0800, Jon Bosak wrote:
>As far as I can tell, by the way, FPSC is now fully functional.

Great ... and I would like to set everything up to get going ASAP now that
the dust has settled.  But ....

I think I can only see FPSC when I sign in as a member under "TC Member
Page" and look at the list of subgroups at the bottom left ... but I cannot
find a "public" home page for the subcommittee for non-members to visit ...
although other portals exist, there is not a page for:

   http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/fpsc/

The old FSSC page did get preserved in the system conversion:

   http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/fssc/

... but I haven't received any FTP instructions for getting into the ubl
subdirectory to remove the old and add the new.

I note that the portal referenced at the bottom of:

   http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl

pointing to:

   http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/lcsc/

still exists ... but given the date in the top right-hand corner, it looks
like it hasn't been changed since the changeover date.  I don't see on this
new page how an outside visitor accesses the Kavi components, such as
document listings and meeting minutes.

So, as a subcommittee chair, I see I have a number of things to do, but I
don't see how to do all of them yet:

(1) - membership
     - this was described in an earlier note:
       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-csc/200303/msg00057.html
     - I go into the UBL page, to my subgroup, and to "Manage Roster"
       which allows me to make up my SC membership *out of the TC
       membership* which requires me to get my committee members to ASAP
       become prospective members of the TC
     - I make voting contributors "members with a vote"
     - I make prospective voting contributors "members without a vote"
       until such time as they are allowed to have a vote
     - I make non-voting contributors "members without a vote" without
       any plans to make them voting members, because they have expressed
       an interest to participate but not to have a vote
     - are lurkers "observers" or "visitors"?

(2) - email list
     - the ezmlm mailer for ubl-fpsc seems responsive, so I tried to sign
       up a non-member email address
     - as owner of the list I was asked through the ezmlm interface to
       authorize the new address, and after doing so, the new address was
       welcomed as a member of the list
     - so, as chair, if I get a request from someone who I don't know to
       join the FPSC mail list as a lurker, I have no way of knowing if
       they are an OASIS member or not to warrant being "pushed" the
       information that goes through the FPSC mail list
     - what is my procedure as chair to vet the qualifications of the
       person asking to joint the mail list?
     - oh, I also tried a "who" to ubl-fpsc-request@lists.oasis-open.org
       which was the way in the past to get membership information; that
       appears to be interpreted now as an unrecognized command and just
       gives help information ...
       - how would I review the list of members on the mail list?
       - I note the Email button top right only takes me to archives

(3) - home page
     - if we are still to have subcommittee home pages ("portals") then I
       need FTP access to the UBL directory in order to set up my new fpsc/
       subdirectory and remove the old fssc/ subdirectory
       - do we have new templates to work with (the old home page worked
         on templates)?
       - by what criteria do we put information in Kavi or in a subdirectory
         of our home page?
     - if we are not to have subcommittee home pages, then do we do all
       of our documents through the member interface?  If so, how do we
       convey our internal workings publicly according to our transparency
       policies

(4) - documents
     - I note on the UBL home page that the "documents" button top right
       brings up a list of public documents for visitors
     - if we are not to have subcommittee home pages, how does an outside
       visitor access the equivalent document list for the subcommittee?

Perhaps have there been subcommittee chair instructions that I haven't seen
yet regarding setting up all of the above ... or perhaps I'm off on a
tangent not being able to map the Kavi functionality to what we had before.

Has a description been written up yet that maps all of the old
functionality to all of the new functionality?  How are other SC chairs and
members coping with the above issues?  *Are* the other SC chairs and
members coping yet with the above issues?  For example, I noted above how I
couldn't find up-to-date LCSC information when I approached the OASIS site
as an outsider (though I could find information once I signed in).

I wasn't going to start active FPSC discussions until the home page was set
up and I mastered all of the administrivia so that (1) the public can
follow what we are doing, and (2) I can instruct members what is expected
of them and be in a position to answer their questions as to what I'm doing
as chair, so that (3) any work we did from the very start would be both
transparently viewable and reliably catalogued.

Thanks for your patience with me ... sorry if I've been too dense to miss
something obvious.  I hope the questions above help others who might be
similarly confused.

................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO
                              North America:      June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc