Subject: Pseudo PURL trick for subcommittee home page

Hi folks!

One of the issues I wanted to discuss is the web address for subcommittees.

Until such time as we can have the access to build subdirectories, I have a
workaround in use for my committee.  For FPSC I created the attached
index.html file and had Sharon upload it to the directory:

   http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/fpsc/

This HTML page has a redirection command recognized by browsers to "go to a
different page" instead of the one that is addressed.  The page that I've
redirected visitors to is the new KAVI interface URL:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=ubl-fpsc

By using the redirection, it acts a bit like a PURL (Persistent URL) in
that any future changes to the KAVI URL can be accommodated by the
redirection file and the published address of "/ubl/fpsc/" will still work
for visitors regardless of where we redirect them to once the get to the
PURL address.

But I see this as only short term: such redirection does not redirect
addresses in subdirectories of the directory, such that creating a
subdirectory "/ubl/fpsc/v0p70/beta1" will not be recognized as
subdirectories from the resolved PURL found in "/ubl/fpsc/".  I gather some
servers *will* do such recognition, but I haven't had the time to determine
if KAVI will allow it.

I hope this is useful in the short term until we get FTP access to our
subdirectories; at that point we could have a public index page we craft
ourselves with a link to the collaboration system of KAVI and links to the
locally managed files for the public's use.

Or whatever it is we are given .....

I hope this helps.

...................... Ken
Title: UBL Forms Presentation Subcommittee (link to home page)

UBL Forms Presentation Subcommittee (link to home page)

To reach the home page, please proceed to http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=ubl-fpsc.

If your browser supports automatic redirection, this link will be automatically traversed.

Otherwise, please click on the link above to proceed!

--
Upcoming hands-on courses:   Europe (XSLT/XPath):    May  5, 2003
-                            Europe (XSL-FO):        May 16, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc