Subject: Re: [Fwd: [chairs] need input for doc mgmt requirements]

Hi Eduardo,

Karl said he's send out minutes.  In the meantime here's an overview,
and  I've attached my notes.

It was the beginning.  I didn't realize this would be an ongoing effort.
I thought it would be more of a follow-up to our previous feedback,
perhaps one or two meetings, but it is really an entire effort to come up
with a new system for doc management, and may be an ongoing effort
until the system is in place, it seems.  They discussed making it a
separate
TC, but that was ruled out.  It's an ad-hoc committe for now and Karl
is the Chair.  Our next meeting is in two weeks.

As Jon's message pointed out, one of the participants asked Karl
to try to get more input from the TC chairs, since there were only
about 6 chairs at the meeting.  So that's what that mail is about.
It's mostly focused on TCs that aren't involved in this yet,
to make sure requirements are voiced now rather than finding
out later they were missed.

AIs for the participants were for us to send our requirements to the
list, even if we had given them to Karl already.  I need to weed out
the Kavi issues from the real requirements for a doc management
system.  Kavi issues go a separate route (Karl mentioned he was
setting up a separate meeting for those).

I didn't get a list of all the people who attended because the roll call
went very quickly.  I asked for Karl to put together a list of who is
in the meeting, but he said he didn't know himself who everyone was,
since the participants were there because they apparently responded
to a request for 'interested parties'.  He said that if people identified
themselves as they sent in the requirements he'd create a list, so
hopefully by the next meeting I'll know who's who.

So, for now, until some of the requirements hit the alias, it's still just
getting under way.  The meeting mostly covered procedural stuff.

The person who suggested the BDM RFI (Carl Mattocks) did mention
it, but Karl said it seemed a bit overkill for now, although he may take
a look at it later.  The other suggestion (webDAV) wasn't discussed at all.

-Anne

Eduardo Gutentag wrote:

> Anne,
>
> how did the meeting go? Do you have a summary?

Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo.gutentag@Sun.COM
Web Technologies and Standards |         Phone:  +1 510 550 4616 x31442
Sun Microsystems Inc.          |         1800 Harrison St. Oakland, CA
94612
W3C AC Rep / OASIS TAB Chair

Kavi 15 May meeting discussion

Karl:
   Many TCs, increasingly active.
   In past just provided ftp access.
   Then moved to Kavi system which includes doc repository.
   Have naming scheme.
   Looking for coherent system for managing docs.
   Is adhoc for now but need to formalize (create TC?)

Scope:
   Manage docs and facilitate collaboration

Structure:
   Ad hoc committee OK?  Yes.  Although do need mailing list.
   AI: Karl create mail list.
   Conduct business on email unless other meetings required.
   Prioritize requirements.
   AI: Everyone throw their requirements out to the list.
   Karl is starting point release for Kavi.
   Need separate requirements list for doc management.
   Karl as TC Chairs explicitly for their requirements.
   Karl will chair, Matt will be editor.

Schedule:
   2-3 months for completion, so 2-4 weeks to gather requirements.

   Major requirements topics
   * Naming/versioning/long-term
   * Persistent names/URL/URN
   * Access/security
   * Collaborative development/review
   * Multi-part specs

   Broaden scope of what can be included as viewable documents.
   Better way to organize documents according to TC needs.
   Spec tools/templates/namingconventions codified more clearly.
   Every published official document to have a URN.

Next meeting:

   Monday 2 June, 1:00 PT