Subject: Re: [ubl-csc] Re: CSC call on 26 November

i guess it may be a small attendance at the meeting so I will  put my thoughts in email and we can follow it through this way.

I raise this issue because it was evident at the last plenary that despite the best efforts of all involved we had managed to get seriously disconnected between the work of NDR and LC.  it was only after the event i realised how seriously broken this process had become.  in  fact, the first thing we should do is acknowledge that we have not yet realigned the two groups - just bought time to do so.  the situation with the work on code lists is a case in point.  Obviously, this is a management issue - it has nothing to do with who is right or wrong, good or bad technology, personal abilities, willingness of participation, etc.  It is better management that is needed.

I am sure none of us want to be facing these fundamental disconnect issues again at the January 2004 plenary.  We need UBL 1.0 to be a technical spec. with a clear and common  ownership from the entire TC.

In the past we have relied upon overlapping membership and nominal liaison members to ensure we keep our work items aligned.  I do not think this has been successful.  What is more, we now have 4 new subcommittees to add into the equation.

The question is what else can we do?

It may be that for the next 3 months the chairs group has to become more proactive in its co-ordination activities.  for example, seeking progress and activity reports and initiating  tasks when things are not happening.  That is, perhaps we  need a project management team and the chairs SC would appear to be the easiest way to do this.

I am not a fan of 'management for management's sake' but I want us to ensure that participants in UBL get the satisfaction of knowing their work is recognized and they are making a valid contribution to the results - no more dead ends, parallel developments and wheel spinning.

Does anyone else have the same concerns?

jon.bosak@sun.com wrote:
There will be a CSC call on 26 November. Time 11:00 EST.

Argh.  That's right when I should be on the way to the airport for
the flight back from Detroit, and given the expected holiday
crowds, I can't play games with the time.  I'd appreciate a very
brief summary of where you get with the discussion of coordination
across subcommittees; I'm betting that you won't get this resolved
in 15 minutes, but I'd like a hint as to where Tim is heading with
this so that I can think about it over the break.

Jon