Subject: RE: [ubl-csc] Re: CSC call on 26 November

Sorry for the silence on this folks.

1) Need for Coordination:

 I do agree with Tim that we need a coordination mechanism.  I guess my assumption all along has been that the QA team - with membership consisting of both groups - would be that mechanism to ensure that the Schema from LC conformed with the NDR rules.  That clearly did not work for a variety of reasons.  I think one of the problems has been that the schema developer has not been part of NDR, and given the poor job I did in sharing the NDR decisions,  he was left to implement as best he could.  My concern is that any attempt to make CSC the coordination mechanism does not have the right people involved - at least for this particular issue.  It would seem to me that in reality what is needed is a) better communication from NDR, b) an agreement on what are the responsibilities of each of the subcommittees (despite the charters I believe we have allowed a certain amount of overlap to be created and this has caused the disconnects we saw in San Francisco) and c) a more effective QA effort - with active technical participation from NDR sufficiently in advance of any final review/approval cycle so that discrepancies can be identified and corrected.

2) Role of CSC:

My understanding of the CSC has been that its purpose was to provide a place where the UBL leadership could discuss cross-cutting issues and reach resolution as well as function as a coordination mechanism for the overall UBL effort.  I am not sure that given its membership that it would be the right forum to address  coordination issues of a technical nature.

3) Technical Coordination:

I think that technical coordination is better left to direct, pro-active efforts on the part of the technical subcommittees.  Our problem in the past has been that the subcommittees have not been proactive.  I think that given the SF issues we uncovered, everyone realizes what is needed.  My proposal would be for the individual subcommittees to formally designate a technical person to act as liaison.  That person would be responsible for attending all of the other subcommittee teleconferences for the purpose of sharing decisions made in their parent subcommittee as well as identifying any issues related to decisions the liaised subcommittee is making.  I think we may also want to formalize the QA process as an entity separate from the existing subcommittees.  The model for this would be the technical assessment subcommittee in X12 and EDIFACT.

4) Schema Generation

We may also want to revisit who should be creating the schema. Since the schema is supposed to be a simple auto generation based on the NDR rules, perhaps we should make them the NDR responsibility?  The model would be what we are doing in CEFACT where the library is created by TBG and the schema are created by ATG.

Mark