Subject: RE: [ubl] Coordination call 11 February 2004

I have taken this off the main UBL list because it should be kept between the chairs at this point.

Unfortunately, I can not make today's call as I am speaking at an engagement that Jon arranged.  Without getting into the specifics of the points that Tim has raised in his email, I would like to make sure that the record is clear.  First - the NDR rules are essentially unchanged from last August so there should be no surprises.  The changes that took place in November were for the most part to align the documentation and other aspects with what was requested by LC.  The changes in rules that have taken place since November are limited to the elimination of the RT schema module and its replacement with the unqualified DT module to align the treatment of DTs consistent with what library has done.  NO OTHER RULE CHANGES HAVE TAKEN PLACE.

For a long time there was a lack of coordination between the schema expressions being created by LC and the NDR rules.  This resulted in release of 1.0B schema that were not in conformance to the NDR rules.  We all agreed prior to release 1.0B that we would go ahead and release those schema despite their non-conformance with the full understanding that Version 1.0 would be fully conformant with NDR.

I am particularly troubled by the suggestion that NDR now needs to align with LCs schema practices.  Such a course of action would negate the work of NDR and its responsibility for schema structure and I can not support it.  Michael Dill is working diligently to ensure that the library is expressed without change in XSD schema that fully conform to the NDR as it currently exists.  He is on track to deliver to meet our schedule.  We should allow that process to go forward.

Mark

--
regards
tim mcgrath