ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Creating a new document... where to start?

I believe the "customization methodology" paper talks mostly
about a different area that falls more towards "contextualization",
which means to provide a context on which to parse a given
instance document against a given schema.  It inherently assumes
a rather intelligent schema parser that is capable of peering
into the 8 context variable elements stored inside <xsd:annotation>
of the instance document.  Depending on the data stored in those
variables, the intelligent schema parser behaves differently, and
may even initiate a change of schema against which to parse the same
instance.  The various discussion in the paper about 'redefine'
and schema restrictions are just mechanisms to realize the above.
It's probably a seeding paper to start the discussion of a
complicated dynamic parsing methodology.  We could probably
hear more about the details subsequently.

Creating a new document schema by customizing the ABIEs doesn't have
to be that complicated, nor needing to have a dynamic aspect to it
(i.e. having to depend on the data variables in the instance
document).  No fallback parsing, no dynamic behavior, and no
special intelligent schema parser are expected.  One of the
more important challenges is certainly to convey standardized
meanings between the trading partners, so that business can
expand and not having to revisit fundamental semantics all the
time.  But this has exactly been done by UBL's collection
of ABIEs!

Fundamentally, tweaking any aspect of UBL's published schema
will amount to customizing, even changing the cardinality of an
element (say from 0..1 to 0..0).  One might not see the effect
until a new trading partner who uses a standard schema (with
cardinality 0..1 of the example element) and actually instantiates
that element and sends that instance (with the example element)
to you.

So I think the atomic model of ABIEs still serves us well in
this aspect.  Find the semantically closest matching ABIEs, and
assemble them together.  Any unused fields should be flagged
outside the ABIE's schema and not changed within the ABIE's schema.
There's a lot more to be said but it'll make the mail too long.

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML
Tel: +65-6820-2979