ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Creating a new document... where to start?

Maybe I'll reply to my own message here -

I think it might be sufficient for this matter for small businesses if certain documents
(particularly the order if just a simple order/invoice process is the
case in point) have, besides things like 'AcknowledgementResponseCode'
(which just applies in 1.0 to the type of OrderResponse to follow an order),
some other code like 'ReturnedInvoiceCode' with values like 'SmallBusinessProfile',
'ContextSpecificProfile' (which would require something like the ebXML CPA
to specifiy what that context is and the respective profile - but small businesses
applications might not be able to cope with ebXML/CPA) and another code
for a fullblown vanilla response being acceptable (can't think of a suitable value)

A more general code or identifier or a more specific indicator (like SmallBusinessIndicator)
are alternatives to consider.

Incidentally, in UBL it is generally taken that an Identifier differs from a code in
that a code just has a codelist whereas an identifier can be open or be used
with a pattern (not necessarily incorporated into the vanilla Schemas since more than
one might be used). A pattern to consider for something like the above but
very general might be a combination of codes, one for each 'context driver' in
the ebXML/CEFACT sense, with specified separators like A:B:C:D:E:F:G:H
where an example for small business procurement might be 'Procurement:::::::SmallBusinessProfile'
(the first of the eight drivers being business process and the last being system constraint
- see a UBL 1.0cd model spreadsheet for the others).

There would be pros and cons for each option and the small business app industry might
like a different approach, but I'm minded to see if this can incorporated into UBL 1.1
(via a comment or position paper or e-mail submission)

Incidentally, it is as well to point out that there may be scope for things like this to
be included in 1.1 or later if they are more general than can be catered for in
a specific customization.

I'd not think it appropriate to rely in this case on the small business profile to include
this as an extension since it would mean a new namespace, I think, for the profile
and lack of recognition up front by those using other profiles - the ones the profile
seeks to keep on board. I really see small buisiness inclusion in UBL use being beyond
the realms of customization, but that is probably disputable and controversial in UBL.
After all small business apps may be the main ones which can't readily incorporate
(at an affordable cost price) the CPA/context driver technology (which I gather doesn't
fully exist yet - I may be wrong). A 'selling' point of UBL is that it doesn't require the
use of ebXML/ISO15000 and I'd hope that UBL can be used (with this matter sorted)
in simple e-mailing applications as are available now in certain small business finance
products.

All the best

Stephen Green

>>> "Stephen Green" <stephen_green@seventhproject.co.uk> 23/06/04 05:53:29 >>>
Ken

Mmm..  Thanks for that. But (I'll acknowledge my colleague Paul Johnston's
idea
behind this).. what I need is a way for a SBP-user to say to anyone 'I'd
like pro-SBP
(i.e. SBP-friendly) messages please' e.g. when sending the order - 'Please
return
an SBP-friendly invoice,etc'

With ebXML I guess that could be in the CPA and that gets registered. This
gives
small businesses the means to say 'I want SBP-friendly orders' before any
document
gets sent.

UBL does have an order response code in the order. Maybe it should have a
general response code in every document.

Steve