ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] A 'Lite' Profile for UBL

Micah

Yes, I have a few UBL Lite instance examples at hand but these are based on
the
'cd' (committee draft) release of UBL 1.0 so I'd like to wait for the change
of
namespaces for the specification release to be decided next week in Denmark
(hopefully) before quickly updating them and sending them out.

It is important to create instances to be sure that instances of the
modelled subset are
still valid as UBL. The way I do this is by first deriving Schemas, then
generating sample
instances (I use XML Spy) then changing the namespaces to the proper UBL
ones and
then testing that they validate against the normative UBL Schemas. It is
important not to
forget the attributes (such as codelist details for codes - 'Supplementary
Components' as
they are called in the CCTS). These are needed, e.g. for currency codes, to
ensure
that, though simplified, the Lite instances are completely self-contained. I
guess we could
establish comprehensive general best practise guidelines like this (which
could help
implementers too) - though some will be location/jurisdiction specific and
more out-of-scope
(leave those to the implementers, I think).

There is scope too for Schematron or the like schemas to allow applications
to test
whether any entities (elements/attributes) in a Lite instance are outside
the spec so that
these can be brought, perhaps, to the attention of a clerk, say (there is
still a place for
humans in the process :-)   ) - perhaps by opening up a view of the source.
This might
further be helped with a stylesheet or the like which flags up in red the
entities outside
the profile (and perhaps not supported by the application) which might
require human
attention. This would provide ample scope for helpful tools.

All the best

Steve