ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] A 'Lite' Profile for UBL

Sorry

When rather than say 'ERP systems' I should be saying finance software/packages

(by which I mean those which by definition might benefit from a Lite
profile if they had a business case for adoption of UBL - this could be because
they wish to only have to support the Lite profile, initially at least, or because there
are likely to be trading partners using apps which support the Lite profile).

Steve

>>> "David RR Webber" <david@drrw.info> 24/08/04 16:28:07 >>>
Stephen,

ERP systems have selected OAGi BODs for this - not UBL-lite.

This brings up a bigger issue.  OAGi BODs contain different and extended
information structures that may or may not map well to the UBL equivalence.
Where there is a loss of information richness - that is obviously a problem.

While trying to define a lowest common functional set is useful (aka EDI did
this) - the loss of flexibility is what XML is supposed to be solving.  So
standing on the high ground and saying 'our stuff is better' - may be a
honset feel-good factor - unfortunately the world works around business
needs and business drivers.

OAGi have learned to support this through their user extension areas in the
transactions.  However - this only partly ameloriates the problems - since
the semantics are missing.

This is the difference between raw data - and information.

By augmenting the exchange with things like CAM templates and registry
vocabularies - you can significantly enhanced the exchange - not just of raw
data - but the intent, purpose and context to provide meaning and
information.

Thanks, DW