ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: SV: [ubl-dev] Announce: UBL 1.0 (CD2) XSL Stylesheet Library for PDF and HTML

At 2004-10-07 10:10 +0200, Bryan Rasmussen wrote:
> >We look forward to any questions you may have regarding this library.
>Is there any particular international standard for how invoices must look
>that these stylesheets were based on?

Yes, the United Nations Layout Key for Trade Documents:

   http://www.unece.org/cefact/rec/rec01en.htm

These specifications gave me form dimensions, cell dimensions, cell
headings, etc.

Business/UBL experts then gave me mappings from the UBL document models to
the cell points.

Actually, these experts worked within the former Forms Presentation
Subcommittee (FPSC), now the Human Interface Subcommittee (HISC), that I
chaired to come up with agreed upon mappings that were published in UBL 1.0
as informative formatting specifications.

I'm a geek, not a business guy, so I wouldn't rely on my own knowledge of
business forms, so I relied on the business experts that contributed.

BTW, the informative UBL specifications are not considered normative ...
there are no obligations to follow the UN Layout Key ... but I'm led to
believe that worldwide commerce today is built upon the use of these
standardized forms ("the world standard for international trade documents
in paper format"), so the choice to use these forms as exemplars of UBL
instance renderings made sense.

I hope this helps.

--
Upcoming publicly-subscribed XSL delivery: Helsinki Oct 18-20,2004
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/