ubl-dev message

Subject: Tools for database support for UBL?

Dear UBL-DEV, Hi

If anyone has interest in the possibility of developing tools to help store UBL
and UBL-based instances in a relational database I've been thinking along the
following lines:

1. What sort of tables could UBL map to? What would be the relational mapping, say?

2. Need to map Schemas to 'CREATE' SQL and develop a generator for that

3. Need to map instances to 'UPDATE' SQL (etc ...?) and develop a generator for that

I wonder if any have thoughts of devloping something like the above, perhaps as opensource
or priced attractively to foster wider UBL / UBL-like Schema adoption (the key to successful
use of UBL perhaps).

What worries me is the complexity of UBL but there's the challenge and the drive I suppose.
It would seem obvious to just treat every ABIE as a table and every document as an
ABIE/table too. The relationships are where I get a bit lost.

Another key factor would be to make the tools generic - to handle any Schemas built
by the UBL NDR rules and from the UBL spreadsheets (e.g. see UBLish from softml.com
which uses a scripting language similar to perl).

All the best

Steve