ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Tools for database support for UBL?

David

I'd actually been thinking slightly differently to this:

I had it in mind that before any integration, mapping or processing to a backoffice
system one might wish to store the incoming UBL or UBL-like document(s) in a
special database whose tables were designed specifically for the Schema(s) used
and then to use the data from this database for the processing into the target
application(s). The document instance would probably be stored as a whole too
in order to provide the audit log/trail and integration with any document management
and/or archiving systems. Having a tool to easily create database schemas from UBL
based XSD Schemas and likewise to create corresponding update SQL statements from
the incoming document instances might greatly simplify the downstream processing
(either using J2EE/EJBs based on the tables or the equivalent in C++, .NET or scripts).

It sounds like the HyperJAXB API is just the sort of thing, especially as it uses
Hibernate to cater for various databases.

However, it would interest me if there were tools other than those based around
the Java/J2EE technology, e.g. ones which would work with .NET or scripting
languages or particularly any using standards such as XSLT. If none were available
then I'd be keen to see something developed, say as opensource :-)

Of course it has been very interesting to find out more about what is out there now
to provide alternatives to this architecture. I'd imagine manipulating data once it is
persisted in a database might be less challenging for implementers than manipulating
it just as XML, e.g. through classes and/or stylesheets alone.

I wouldn't see a sufficient business case for spending vast amounts of money on this
though.

I could imagine the case for basing such tools on CAM mapping to achieve the above.
Thanks.

Just feeling my way here :-)

All the best

Steve

>>> "David RR Webber" <david@drrw.info> 16/12/04 17:03:24 >>>
Stephen,

I just re-read your note and realized another item here:

 1. What sort of tables could UBL map to? What would be the relational
mapping, say?

2. Need to map Schemas to 'CREATE' SQL and develop a generator for that

3. Need to map instances to 'UPDATE' SQL (etc ...?) and develop a generator
for that
<<<<<<<<

CAM templates include the optional <ExternalMapping> section explicitly to
support this round-tripping to / from SQL tables between partner
applications.

You'd have to target some popular accounting applications with this
technique
and denote their tables and columns.

The jCAM when used with Hermes then becomes an instant integration
plug-in to popular accounting suites.

Enjoy, DW