ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] GBP and GBp

A bit of investigation through my friends at Interactive Data reveals that the correct ISO code for pence is GBX which is what is used to describe UK share prices quoted in pence in all the major price feeds.

Andrew

From: Adrian Walker [mailto:adrianw@snet.net]
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2005 3:44 PM
To: Andrew Chilcott
Cc: ubl-dev@lists.oasis-open.org; David Webber (XML)

Andrew --

At 03:06 PM 2/20/2005 +0000, you wrote:

Having lived in the UK most of my life, I can assure you that I have never seen
GBp used anywhere.

Actually, I have seen it used.  Some UK share prices are quoted in GBp, meaning pennies, not pounds.

As David pointed out, some people may think they are 100 times richer than they actually are.

Glad to hear the usage is not widespread.

There's perhaps a general point here -- think about the whole user/programmers/business- rules/meta-data/data/user-interface system when choosing abbreviations.

                                Cheers,  -- Adrian

INTERNET BUSINESS LOGIC (R)
www.reengineeringllc.com

Adrian Walker