ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] UBL and a functional SQL schema

We find the UBL schema's extremely complicated, the thought of modeling them
in a relational database makes me want to run screaming into the night.

We store the UBL as XML in a CLOB/BLOB column and then choose a few key
reference fields to extract into relational tables for us to do look ups.

This allows us to find the xml, extract it and then work with it.

This works for us for literally millions of records a week.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim McGrath [mailto:tmcgrath@portcomm.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, 24 February 2005 4:07 PM
To: alex black
Cc: Chin Chee-Kai; ubl-dev@lists.oasis-open.org

maybe i am missing something here but if i were trying to create a
database for storing information taken from UBL documents, i would start
by building tables and attributes based on the UBL document component
model.  This is the relational model used to create all the hierarchical
document assembly models (and their XML schemas).  In the component
model each object class is a table/entity and every attribute is an
attribute/column.

there is no need to re-engineer a relational model from the UBL document
schemas.

in fact if someone where to develop a set of SQL naming and design rules
for UBL then these SQL/rdbms schemas could be built automatically from
the UBL models (similar to how the XML schemas are built).

--
regards
tim mcgrath

DOCUMENT ENGINEERING: Analyzing and Designing Documents for Business
Informatics and Web Services
(coming soon from MIT Press)
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?sid=632C40AB-4E94-4930-A94E
-22FF8CA5641F&ttype=2&tid=10476