ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] Invoice message: UN/EDIFACT and UBL

[aron@ik.bme.hu:]

| This is written on the homepage of UBL v1.0:
| "The initial UBL library of data components was based upon the xCBL 3.0
| schema library, which was itself based on the UN/EDIFACT and ANSI X12 EDI
| component libraries."
| (source: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/cd-UBL-1.0/)
|
| If UBL messages (e.g. Invoice) are based on UN/EDIFACT standard
| (e.g. INVOIC message) then I suspect that there must exist a
| mapping (EDIFACT-to-UBL and UBL-to-EDIFACT). Is this mapping
| accessible somewhere? Or shall I ask xCBL experts?

I'm open to correction from people who worked closely with CBL,
but I believe that "based on" was used pretty loosely in the
passage you quote above.  It's my understanding that there is
(somewhere) a formal mapping of xCBL 3.0 to EDI standards, but UBL
has evolved so far beyond its roots in xCBL that I doubt whether
such a mapping would be very useful.  The point is that UBL
inherits the relevant semantics of traditional EDI message
standards, not that there is a formal mapping to those standards.

UBL's grounding in the ISO 15000-5 Core Components Technical
Specification together with the harmonization work currently
underway in UN/CEFACT will eventually provide a semantic basis
that should (in theory) enable us to generate the kind of mapping
you're looking for.

Jon