ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Is there a way to reuse and extend an enumeration in XML schema

Henry,

Thanks for your interesting post. I am the editor of the UBL code list
specification and I think your solution may help us trade off some
difficulties we have with our present solution.

We have considered substitution groups because:
1) You could define a substitution once and have it reflect everywhere
without modifying the base schema or, also importantly, a third party code
list schema that UBL has incorporated by reference.
2) Your modified schema's namespace would prefix all uses so that you
explicitly know which fields are modified in the instance file.

Problems with the substitution group method are:
1) Many UBL elements are derived from the code list types. Therefore
additional definitions would be needed -- eg <xsd:element name='myCode'
type='stdCodeListType'/> instead of using the global code by reference.
2) Problem number 1 is compounded by the desire to use code lists as
attributes as well as elements. Thus you would have to have all elements
containing code attributes be global and substitute them.
3) Because substitution groups are unconstrained, discipline would need to
be used to ensure that it was only used for code list extension /
restriction. This gives the UBL naming and design rules team great concern.

I guess the only minor downsides I see to your redefine method is:
1) you would have to look to the schemaLocation attribute in the instance
file to recognize that the redefinitions occurred.
2) you would not be able to pick and choose which instances of the code list
is overridden -- e.g. one instance uses <cl:code>foo</> and another uses
<customCl:code>foo</>.
3) This is more of a question -- is it possible to redefine several types
from different namespaces in a single schema file so there would be a single
incorporation of all changes referenced in the schemaLocation attribute of
the instance file.

Thanks again for highlighting a promising solution that might be able to
meet all the UBL requirements.

Marty Burns,
Hypertek for NIST
1(301)315-9101