ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBL in real life shipping web services integration

Thank you for your encouraging words on the value of UBL to your
application.

Your suggestions come at a timely moment as we are currently gathering
requirements for the next release of  UBL (hopefully to be released
later this year).

You have correctly identified that we could strengthen the UBL library
in the area of shipment.  From what you describe it appears that you
require some finer grained information components or specific code sets
than those currently available.  We would very much like to discuss this
further with you.

It would help us greatly if you could document your requirements in a
form that helps us integrate them into our new designs.  By way of
reference you might want to see how the Japanese ECALGA requirements
were submitted to UBL (contained in the document
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200503/doc00001.doc).
Also for your interest, one of the new documents we will be introducing
in the next release of UBL is the Certificate of Origin which
incorporates many additional trade and transport related components.

With respect to your desire to create a 'virtual carrier interface',
whilst this seems like a sensible architectural approach it does not
relate to scope of UBL.  We should perhaps better define UBL as
document-oriented, in that we do not specify how messages are exchanged.
 We prefer  to remain agnostic of this and would see that frameworks
such as ebXML's ebMS, ebBPSS and ebCPPA would be more appropriate
technologies to investigate.  UBL is designed as the payload for these
(and other) web services.

Finally, you should note that the UBL project used a subset of xCBL 3.0
as the starting point for developing our vocabulary.  This was because
it had some traction as a working solution, it already contained a lot
of material from both ANSI ASC X12 and UN/EDIFACT, and was provided
unemcumbered to the UBL project.  However, it was never intended that
Commerce One or UBL would maintain compatibility - so we have no
official knowledge of xCBL in its current form.

Please address your response to the ubl-dev list.

--
regards
tim mcgrath

DOCUMENT ENGINEERING: Analyzing and Designing Documents for Business Informatics and Web Services
(coming soon from MIT Press)
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?sid=632C40AB-4E94-4930-A94E-22FF8CA5641F&ttype=2&tid=10476