ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBL in real life shipping web services integration

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:20 pm, constantine@expeditebiz.com wrote:
> Hello UBL mailing list members,
>
> UBL seem to me a very good starting point to achieve what I think
> will be very usefull for our industry - a generic and simple to implement
> shipping web service.

It looks that way...

> We have a real life problem - we created a hosted SOAP Web Service for DHL
> and it allows easy integration but adding additional carriers will
> complicate the matters if we create different SOAP interfaces. I want our
> customers to create their shipping application a carrier neutral and to
> switch easy between them. That way they will save on their integration
> project doing it just once.

Instead, why not just create an activeX that encapsulates this information.

I'm sure that would be an easier interface for developers to master.

Also, you have a fundimental problem outlined by others on the list that most
communications protocols are primarily designed as two way exchanges between
the buyer and the seller.

What you actually need is a three way communication exchange whereby you can
notify both the buyer and the seller simultaniously as the package tracks.

We are about to open computergrid as an open-source protocol and it provides
exactly this capability as is. As there was special provision for exactly
this sort of operation built in from the start.

It might involve looking at some slightly different protocol styles than what
are commonly available today though.

Regards

David

--
Computergrid : The ones with the most connections win.