ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBL in real life shipping web services integration

Hi Tim,

Quoting Tim McGrath <tmcgrath@portcomm.com.au>:

> Your questions highlight the fact the UBL 1.0 scenario does not
> encompass the documents that flow to and from the Carrier of the goods.
>  Its scope is entirely between Buyer and Seller parties.
>
> What you are doing is applying UBL to an extended use case - that
> involves document exchanges with the Carrier of the goods.  Most of the
> following responses relate to this situation.
>
> Whilst you will find  UBL currently addresses a significant number of
> these it will not satisfy all.

Yes, but the fundimentals of every commercial business transaction is that it
usually always 5 ways, and involves:

 - the buyer
 - the seller
 - nearly always, a delivery company
 - a bank/financial clearing house
 - the tax office

So any broad based transaction schema really needs to be accomodating of this
landscape.

And whilst web services is a good communications model, it is not the only one.

Over here in Sydney we use our own communications protocols which are capable of
handling multiparty transactions.

So I would really hope that more can be done to address the transaction
landscape in the real world, and not limit UBL to being dependant on things
like web services which not everybody is using.

Regards

David