ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Multi Language XML Invoices

> > we have also met with this problem at the mapping of Hungarian
> > eInvoices to UBL. Maybe some kind of "LanguageIndicator" could be
> > inserted into the schema to solve this...
>
> The xml:lang attribute is used specifically for such
> purposes. An implementation can read this attribute and take
> the proper course of action based on its value (i.e. generate
> the invoice in the proper language).

Joe is absolutely correct re xml:lang.  But beyond that, there are additional alternatives to consider - specifically the Universal Business Language.  One of the beauties of the UBL specification and the TC is that we fully recognize  the need for language specific implementations of UBL.   Fortunately, the ebXML CCTS (ISO 15000-5)  sets the framework for creating language specific instantiations.  UBL has progressed this through the creation of multiple language specific localization subcommittees who work in conjunction with the main TC as well as their counterparts to create language specific versions of the UBL library which can then be instantiated following the UBL normative XSD specifications.  The following is taken from our website:

"UBL 1.0 International Data Dictionary Released as OASIS Committee Draft

The First Edition of the UBL 1.0 International Data Dictionary (IDD) has been approved as an OASIS Committee Draft by the OASIS Universal Business Language Technical Committee and is now available for general use.

Created by UBL localization subcommittees (LSCs) to aid in global UBL deployment, the UBL 1.0 IDD consists of over 600 normative business data definitions from the UBL 1.0 Standard together with translations of the definitions into Chinese (Traditional and Simplified), Japanese, Korean, and Spanish. With the original English, these definitions make the XML business documents specified in UBL 1.0 understandable to more than two-thirds of the world's current online population.

The IDD also features business terms assigned by the LSCs to represent each data element in each language. These business terms are intended to serve as resources for software vendors in developing localized user interfaces, forms editors, and document formatters. As with all UBL specifications, the IDD is freely available under terms of the OASIS copyright. Copies of the UBL 1.0 IDD are available in Excel and OpenOffice formats at the following locations:

    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/12242/cd-UBL-1.0-IDD-1.xls
    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/12243/cd-UBL-1.0-IDD-1.sxc

The UBL TC invites members of the international business community to comment on the IDD. Comments on the translations should be submitted in the appropriate language using the comment form on the corresponding localization subcommittee web page (see links below). Comments on the English definitions should be submitted in English using the comment form linked from this UBL TC web page."

To date localization subcommittees include:  Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Spanish, with more on the way.  And of course a Hungarian localization subcommittee would be most welcome :-)

Mark
Mark R. Crawford
Senior Research Fellow - LMI XML Lead
W3C Advisory Committee, OASIS, Representative
Vice Chair - OASIS UBL TC, UN/CEFACT Applied Technologies Group
Chair - UN/CEFACT XML Syntax Working Group
Editor - UN/CEFACT Core Components

LMI Government Consulting
2000 Corporate Ridge
McLean, VA 22102-7805
703.917.7177 Phone
703.655.4810 Wireless
The opportunity to make a difference has never been greater.

www.lmi.org