ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Which message format to use?

I'd suggest that two major considerations
should be
1. cost of implementation of standard (to potential
trading partners)
2. size of potential base of likely trading
partners who would use the same standard.
The answers (guesses) to these would suggest
two further considerations
3. how many of the available standards to support
then
4. your question ... which?

If you wish to support trade with one or two
communities, markets or verticals then you'd need
to ask which standards the same are already using and
whether that might be changing. Then you might also
ask whether you should be attempting to support a
wider, 'horizontal' set of parties and whether a
standard or standards facilitate this.

My point of view is that public bodies should seek
to support the more horizontal group of trading
parties. If there isn't one yet then public sectors
have the power, I would think, to promote the
creation of a more horizontal market/trading party
group/community. I would suggest that UBL has
made it possible for this to be achieved in the
widest possible way today (or tomorrow). So I
would suggest use of UBL by public bodies and
even public sectors to create wide horizontal
'markets' (perhaps the term market then seems to
imply something too parochial to be the best term
to use). Then, if there is the need to support additional
trade with a particular market or vertical group I
would suggest supporting the standard(s) such a
group already supports and/or is likely to
support over the next five to ten years. If  a public
sector has power to combine the above to reduce need
to support so many standards, I would think a lot of
people would be happy, as long as existing systems
are shown due consideration (but change is likely
to involve some pain so not everyone will be happy).

All the best

Stephen Green