ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Syntax neutral definition of inherited BIEs

Juha

Hi.

UBL might consider doing this internally;
I say might because there hasn't yet been
a formal decision about minor versioning,
but there might be a need to do this
whatever the decision to allow the definition
of a minor version with an adaptation of
the existing spreadsheets of the content
models. So for the timebeing we think we
can indeed adapt the spreadsheets to show
some sort of inheritance or semantic trail
from 2.0 to, say, 2.1. The same, I hope,
would apply to any taking a similar approach
to customize UBL. Obviously this applies
both if you use W3C restriction/extension
or whether you just apply the inheritance
at the modeling stage and redeclare everything
in new schemas (and lose the benefit of a trail
with W3C XML Schema syntax, perhaps
preserving it in schemas some other way such
as with the CCTS documentation, perhaps
keeping it in a registry or repository).

In short I certainly hope it is not just possible
but quite straightforward - enough to allow
automation. I reckon it is quite straightforward
but what would be the least amount of extra
data (columns or rows, say) you would have
to add to the model spreadsheet in such a way
that a tool (maybe XSLT even, based on the
XML content of the spreadsheet file, say) could
best pick it up for schema generation.

All the best

Stephen Green