ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Rectification invoices

Folks

Just to note, a CreditAdvice and DebitAdvice are to be included in
UBL 2.0. Likely to enter a public review period in December this year
these might, we hope, be available for use a year or so from now.
In the meantime I agree, personally, that it is best to correct over- and
underpayments in some other way than overloading the UBL 1.0
Invoice, perhaps using paper processes if the UBL Invoice itself has
been implemented to replace a paper process. However, I get the
impression in my own country (UK) that the tax people (VAT C&E)
strongly discourage 'mixed-processes' so maybe one might want to consider
if mixing paper corrections with processing of electronic invoices
is 'allowed' - just an opinion (no liability accepted if enquiries made
cause more trouble than they solve).

Stephen Green

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fulton Wilcox" <fulton.wilcox@coltsnecksolutions.com>
To: "'Jorge Ortiz Claver'" <jorge.ortiz@tirea.es>
Cc: <ubl-dev@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 3:29 AM

Jorge:

In my experience, typically the seller's system would issue a new invoice
with a new document identity, while reversing the erroneous invoice with a
credit. From an eBusiness perspective/UBL perspective, the replacement
invoice would merely be another invoice instance, with perhaps "replacement"
referenced in a comment field. It would therefore not require a new document
type/variant.

On the buy side, electronic payables entities (e.g., I have in mind several
major auto companies) typically will not accept either electronic credit
transactions nor "change" invoices (i.e., a corrected invoice with the same
document identity as its predecessor). Indeed, for all practical purposes
credits and adjustments have to be handled offline, because of the many
process complexities in their payables process.

There is one U.S. automobile manufacturer that will accept replacement
invoices - i.e., they pay the last version received, and in that scenario
there is no need for a different UBL document or variant.

I'm not sure that adding to UBL would address these back office issues.
Indeed, if anyone is thinking about implementing a Six Sigma error
minimization program, invoicing is a great place to start, because backing
out bad invoice data is an ugly job.

Regards,

Fulton Wilcox
Colts Neck Solutions LLC