ubl-dev message

Subject: UBL / XForms Re: [ubl-dev] Simple ODF/XForms (OOo2/SO8) for UBL 1.0 Invoice

[reposted due to apparent mailserver problems]

Re: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-dev/200512/msg00024.html (simple
invoice forms for ODF/XForms with OOo2)
and http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-dev/200512/msg00021.html (about
development of a set of pure XForms for UBL)

A colleague's comment to this and to Bryan's question:
localization: it is important (learning from EDI) to attach
the normative semantic definitions to the input fields
so this would be well done by having the hover help
messages for each input field containing the normative
definition of that element/BIE. This leads to the localisation
need that the UBL data definition dictionary be used by
those concerned to produce either a multinational,
sophisticated set of XML forms which have a localization
option or a separate form/set of forms for each locality
(one in Chinese, one in Korean, one in English, etc).

I expect Bryan, you'd prefer to stick to the English forms
and leave others to internationalize them. But adding the
defintions as hover help messages might be a good idea
(though a lot of work).

Obviously a labour saver for things like XForms localization
and even for customization (*) would be to generate the
XForms with XSLT from the UBL schemata. I've tried this
before quite successfully. The end result is rather too
bland and generic though so a two step process of
first generating basic XForms then improving them
manually perhaps or if you're adventurous of delegating
the look and to CSS stylesheets with just the generated
XForms, either would be a good idea I think. * - this helps
customisers who, if supplied with the XSLT could probably
get a good result even after customisation. Likewise with
minor versions I would hope.

I have had problems with this coping with changable
namespaces when writing the XSLT. Maybe XSLT 2 would
be a good option. Maybe you won't get a problem. I was
thinking of one XSLT stylesheet for all the UBL Docs/schemata
(which might work with customisations and minor versions too)
but at worst it might be you need to manually change the
namespaces in the XSLT stylesheets. Perhaps there is a way to
not have to include the namespaces in the XSLT.

All the best

Stephen Green