ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: SV: [ubl-dev] Simple ODF/XForms (OOo2/SO8) for UBL 1.0Invoice

Hi Bryan

Mmm.. I'll think about what else might be relevant
to straightforward XForms. I like the OOo2 XForms
because of availability of software. The issue of use
of the formsplayer addin (which would mean adding
the relevant object declaration to the XForms) is the
limitations it has on browser versions. In OOo2 the
XForms implementation is at an early stage though
so there is an obvious place for pure XForms for
browsers too (just a different set of limitations).

Maybe we should beg someone like Google to
produce a set of AJAX 'forms' too. They would use
the same kind of HTTP request with an XML body
as OOo. I'm not sure if other XForms implementations
use the same. It would be good if all the implementations
used the same (XmlHttpRequest equivalent) so that
server-side code can handle each and every request
the same way (such as reading the 'request' into
something like DOM). In UK Gov we have something
called the e-Government Interoperability Framework
which seems to suggest all this, though the architecture
could do with refinement and usability as well as better
tool support since it is a clear divergence from or strain
on the traditional HTML form architecture which still has
the mainstream support.

How about an easy way to convert to PDF from the
XForm - again OOo2 may here have an edge (though
the option to create PDF without input boxes would
be a useful addition and negate the need to produce
separate readonly forms). There's a gap from XForms
to PDF in browsers perhaps. An easy link to an output
form suitable for saving to an (x)html file or printing,
perhaps allowing a received UBL file to be printed or
saved as XHTML might help a lot.

All the best

Steve

PS just seeing your other posting, would Danish Gov
think of having OCR read printed UBL?

>>> Bryan Rasmussen <brs@itst.dk> 23/12/05 09:07:48 >>>
Hi Stephen

I'm supposed to be taking over from Micah Dubinko on the mapping of UBL to
Xforms via OO, so it could be that I'll have some questions, additions to
this over the next coming time. I suppose the two points you mention below:
the need to have more than 10 lines, and to strip out empty content are the
most obviously important. Any other things you see as being important to add
to the solution.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen