ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Map EDI Invoice to UBL

Véronique,

With respect to an invoice without a line item, can you provide an example
of a use case?

With respect to an actionable invoice as opposed to, say, some follow-up
reminder or statement, I suggest that every invoice should have at least one
line item in order to convey unit price, units, line item descriptions, etc
as opposed to either not conveying line item information at all or conveying
some or all of that information as part of the header.

Although the seller generating the invoice may not need that data, the
receiver or various third parties often need it either to process the
invoice or for their data warehouse functionality or for corporate
governance purposes or for all three. Actionable invoice transactions should
convey enough to fit all three sets of needs, one can hope with zero need
for human intervention, as they relate to inbound invoices. Note that there
is a symmetry with PO transactions, sales order transactions, shipping
advices etc. which also should contain line items.

If instead the transaction you have in mind is not an actionable invoice
transaction to be processed through the buyer's payables process, but rather
is some sort of non-actionable advice, it probably should not use the
invoice transaction format.

One of the difficulties that we inherit from the EDI days is that the EDI
standard offers n ways of doing almost anything, where n is often
substantially greater than 1. The result is that trading partners can then
do things in fundamentally incompatible ways even though both are both
conforming to the EDI rules.

Fulton Wilcox

Colts Neck Solutions LLC

Colts Neck, NJ USA