ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Developer complaints about use of qualified and unqualified data type schemas

> The problem is that we are in the process of implementing
> SOA.  Developers
> are taking our messages schemas and importing them into their
> toolsets, they
> are complaining to us that the use of the data type schemas
> are making their
> jobs more difficult.  Basically what they are reporting is
> that when base
> types are extended in other type definitions, the java toolsets are
> generating classes for the base types and the extended types -- so
> essentially they are getting extra classes that they don't need.

The same "extra classes" issue was raised during the global/local
debate.  I am pretty sure the extra classes are generated automatically,
and are a trivial issue as you don't need to use them.

>The
> question we are getting on a more regular basis is "Why can't
> your common
> basic components directly use the xsd:types instead of using
> your qualified
> data types that provide no value except to create extra
> documentation."

The short answer is to point them to the UBL modularity model.  We were
very careful when we designed that model to ensure we were creating XSD
expressions of the underlying data model.  We don't create any XSD
without having it in the data model.

> Besides the providing some extra value within the
> documentation - is there a
> reason the NDR uses this type of nested construct?

Once again, this is because of the alignment between the NDR and the
data models.  If your developers followed their recommendation, there
would quickly be a separation of the XSD and the data models - repeating
the disasters of the past in terms of incompatible data/syntax
expressions.

Kind Regards,

Mark
Mark Crawford
SAP Standards Architect
Office: 703 670-0920
Mobile: 703 485-5232
Chair: ISO 15000-5 ebXML Core Components
Lead, UN/CEFACT Core Components Harmonization Project
Vice Chair UN/CEFACT Applied Technologies Group
Chair UN/CEFACT XML Syntax Working Group