ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Biztalk schemas, documentations, general confusion

Hi Troels

I share the concern about whether BizTalk can handle the
schemas. I admit they are rather complex in their design
but this allows greater extensibility through modularity
and the global decalaration of every element.

I'd point you to the UBL Small Business Subset (SBS) at
http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/prd-UBL-1.0-SBS-2/
as an example of how you might go about restricting
the implementation to a subset of the content. Let me
know if there is more I can say after you've looked at
it. It took a few of us quite a while to devise this subsetting
mechanism and we hope it is reusable. We also include the
means (which we call Universal Business Process to
complement the UBL name) to process such subsetted
document types using the 'Managed Public Processes
Application' pattern of ebXML (which should also
interoperate somewhat with other Web Services if
you keep to the latest specs - and note ebBP 2.0 is just
beginning the late stages of standardisation to help with
this) - if you are after a good design for collaborating
robustly. The SBS is hopefully about to become a
UBL Committee Specification (pending ballot) very
soon. An SBS is being prepared for UBL 2 and we are
considering providing Transport (Waybill, etc) subsets
too at some stage. All that may be necessary for you if
you need documents other than those in UBL 1.0 but
in UBL 2 (and don't wish to customize content).

Sorry I can't advise on BizTalk. Does it have to include
schemas or could you take the schema validation out of line?
You might want to consider how to validate using
Schematron too as that may be handy in validating codes
and subset conformance. There is a nearly complete UBL
codelist methodology and version 0.3 of it relates to UBL 1.0

All the best

Stephen Green