ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Re: About CodeList for UnitCode

Ken,

I apologize for the brief and incomplete answer.  I was at the UN/CEFACT
meeting all last week and my email is quite backlogged. I'm trying to catch
up before I attend next week's ISO TC 154 and CCTS meetings in Vancouver as
well.

First on your question about ZZ. The ZZ code originated in ANSI X12 as a
temporary placeholder for users to send codes that were not in the X12
Codelists until they could request and have the specific code or codes
included in a future version of the standard.  EDIFACT adopted a similar
provision.  The specific codes that ZZ represent are documented in EDI
implementation guides or MIGS (message implementation guides) as they are
called for EDIFACT. A similar option exists for XML implementation guides
for users who have software like GEFEG.FX. Anyone interested in additional
information about creating XML guidelines using this approach should contact
me directly, off list.

The ATG2 qDT schema module includes a type Quantity. Type. The allowable
supplementary components are Quantity. Content and Quantity Unit. Code.  The
specific code list is UN/ECE Rec 20 and not the one referenced in the
current UBL 2.0 draft schema.  While there is no code for Piece, there is a
code for Each and I would strongly recommend considering using it with a
implementation note that it means Piece instead of creating a new code.

ATG2 NDR do support extending qDTs using xsd:extension when absolutely
required, however UBL decided at the Manhattan F2F meeting only to adopt the
ATG2 uDT schema module and NOT the ATG2 NDR regarding their use. Please see
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200602/msg00005.html and
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200602/msg00054.html.

Lastly, the codelist omissions and inconsistencies in the current public
review draft were mentioned at
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200601/msg00020.html.  They were
discussed extensively in UBL Pacific calls but I can't recall if the details
of those discussions were minuted. These all need to be revisited based on
the latest draft of the UBL NDR Checklist and UBL's decision to use the uDT
schema module but not the ATG2 rules.

Regards,
Sylvia