ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Code List Value Validation

Dave,

I agree with respect to there being a practical need for balance between
content standards force fit versus agility.

On the other hand, the notion that a controlled vocabulary makes jobs for
the controllers and centralizers is probably misplaced, because we need more
and probably better funded such efforts. These code sets force fit
real-world, often "analog" information into a form suitable for consumption
by very stupid machines.

The codelists we are discussing, such as country, currency, etc. involve
"payload" data. Such payload data needs to survive UBL encapsulation and
de-encapsulation in a fashion that aligns the behavior and content of the
recipient's and the sender's internal systems. If that synchronization
process experiences exceptions, there goes the ROI of UBL.

Progressing from "classic" EDI to XML (in any flavor or setting) does not
reduce the cost of quality involved in supporting hands-off machine to
machine exchanges. In the end, data "non-conformance to spec" requires that
people do "mapping," transaction recovery/troubleshooting, and perhaps
custom software or scripting development.

Payload data quality/conformance issues escalate as UBL or other OASIS
products are applied in inherently more "analog" arenas - for example, in
healthcare.

I do not suggest that OASIS-UBL or other Oasis groups own these data quality
problems, but it is better to acknowledge that 1) they exist and merit
investment in more controlled vocabulary centralizers, and 2) that no
technology magic can make payload data problems go away.

                                    Regards,

                                    Fulton Wilcox

                                    Colts Neck Solutions LLC