ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] SBS and Restricted Data Types

At 2006-05-04 10:33 -0400, Chiusano Joseph wrote:
> [...]

And the names of the base types (though not their definitions).

> > - When we refer to an "XPath file", we mean the file whose contents
> > include the XPath expressions (plus other items in the leftmost
> > columns, such as cardinality constraints). The following file would be
>
> > an example of what we call an "XPath file":
> > http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/cs-UBL-1.0-SBS-1.0/xpaths/text/Despatch
> > Ad
> > vice-XPath.txt
> > (though at the top it is labeled as an "XPath information file")
> >
> > Is that correct so far?
>
>No.
>
>[JMC] Ok - but this perplexes me as I have seen this type of file
>consistently referred to as an "XPath file" on this list. If that is not
>the proper term for this file, what is?

I can see there might be confusion over this.  I use the term "XPath
files" interchangeably between the two XML files, the text file and
HTML.  The normative file is the xxxx-XPath.xml file from which the
three other "renditions" are created.  And they are all just
renditions of the same information, just with different formats and
different subsets of information.

But the normative file is the one for which xpath.rnc and xpath.xsd
describes the constraints on the vocabulary.

So, for UBL 1.0 SBS 1.0 Despatch Advice the XPath files are:

   DespatchAdvice-XPath.xml - normative description of XPath information
   DespatchAdvice-XPath.txt - text enumeration of XPath location paths
   DespatchAdvice-XPath.html - HTML enumeration of XPath location paths
   DespatchAdvice-Instance.xml - synthesized "one-of-everything" instance

>[JMC] <PlayingTheRoleOfKen>

(but better looking than Ken)

>Actually the "second files" (being careful
>not to mix terminology) do contain cardinality information, just to the
>left of each XPath expression (e.g. 0..1)</PlayingTheRoleOfKen>

Yes, cardinality is exposed in that particular report.  The normative
file also includes the type name of the content of the information
item (though no details of the makeup of the type; that would be
found in the UBL schemas).

>Not sure
>if that changes anything for our discussion and for the consideration
>you mentioned above (potentially not referring to the "second file"
>above within UBL 2.0, just the "first file" above).

The xxx-XPath.xml normative expression is machine processable ... I
suppose the text and HTML are too if you wanted to do text
manipulation, but the objective was to make the information
processable by XML tools.

--
Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
Also for XSLT/XSL-FO training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04