ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] SBS and Restricted Data Types

I want to make sure I don't misunderstand here - please clarify:

<Quote>
I totally agree. But then those supply chains should provide such
solutions, say as customisations, rather than UBL (which doesn't have a
separate body for each industry but relies, I believe, on those
industries to do such things).
</Quote>

By "rather than UBL", did you mean to say that those supply chains
should *not* use UBL at all because they have a need for data type
restrictions? Or did you mean customizations of UBL?

<Quote>
I postulate that basing supply-chain-specific subsets on the SBS might
achieve this by encouraging software providers to support the SBS, if
there is only the minimal departure from the SBS that is necessary and
the SBS can work within those limits unchanged too.
</Quote>

So by "if there is only the minimal departure from the SBS that is
necessary" I think you are saying that if an initiative (such as a
supply chain) had a need to enforce restrictions on data types (such as
string length), then the SBS is not useful for them. Is my understanding
correct?

Thanks,
Joe

Joseph Chiusano