ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] SBS and Restricted Data Types

How come it sounded like game-over when it comes to my timezone?? :)

Now that I have the opportunity to re-read more of those questions
and responses transpired, I think Joseph's question about adding
new elements and restrictions such as limiting string lengths to
30 characters (quoting the example used in earlier discussions)
are real-life needs and would help extend the use of UBL if practical
answers could be given.

But, and that's a big-but, that is more like a question on
customisation of UBL in general rather than how does SBS offer
answers to those questions.  I've not known SBS to target customisation,
whether full-scale customisation or just restrictions, as its
primary objectives.  Everything about SBS ought to be read as,
"within the confines of using UBL, including documents,
customisation rules, naming, namespace, ....." and such idea
has been conveyed in as many ways as Ken & Stephen had tried to
bring out in their earlier responses.

SBS merely points out a set of elements (again, "within the confines
of UBL ....") that are useful for "Small Business" and subset
(not customise) them in a consistent way with the usage of UBL
so that implementers has a lower barrier to cross, and where they
do not implement those areas of UBL not specified by SBS, they have
a consistent way of managing and staying within compliance claims.

For Joseph's questions, I'd suggest, if Joseph could do the honor,
to post them to the relevant customisation subcomm of UBL TC.

Before many readers walk away from the thread with the impression
that SBS is not useful for this, is not enough for that, or not
suitable for non-SB, etc, I'll just like to add that "Small Business"
is only a convenient way of describing the standardisation
activities of extracting a useful subset from the larger UBL.
"Small" is also a qualitative than quantitative term here.
Many departments, sections, branches, divisions (semantics of
terms depending on where your locality is), especially cost
centres, behave much like the sort of small businesses that naturally
come to mind.   For these "small" entities sitting within larger
organisations, if SBS represents a standardised, compliant
subset of UBL that can be used with lower cost of implementation,
more reliable tests (on the basis that much less elements, potential
points of failure exist in the SBS subset), easier training and
simpler operations, or, as a self-consistent subset that gives rise
to easier pilot trials before moving to the full complex suite of
UBL, the relevant department head, section manager, branch manager,
or division director might have to ask, "Why not?"

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML
Tel: +65-6820-2979