ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] SBS and Restricted Data Types

Fulton,

What implementers need to know is the delta, or if a delta exists
betweeen what they have already and what their partner requires.

In traditional EDI and XML it is "suck it and see" time.  Simply because
there is no
standard approved way of exposing this in a consistent form.

If you have that mechanism then suddenly you alter the equation!

It no longer becomes a guessing game - if I send this transaction, will
it fail?
What LOE will it take to get my system working with theirs?

By exposing this all with tools like CAM you dramatically alter the
equation.

Partners can examine your requirements, and even pre-test samples -
before
they even cross the bridge of sending transactions to you.

Schema cannot do this on its own.  In fact it fails pretty much out the
gate
when it is a large schema - and I believe this is what we are grappling
here
with SBS - not all these other nuances!

Simply put - if I give you the schema - you still have *no clue* what a

valid XML transaction will look like that my system can accept!!!

Instead - you have to ask for a sample XML message as well - to know
what you
are trying to do.  And that is iffy too of course.  More likely you will

need several samplers if its a large schema - based on context and role
(that theme again).

If this was all like a crossword puzzle - giving someone a schema is
like
giving them the crossword - with little to no clues!!!

So - we're back to the same conclusions - yes - you can significantly
improve the adoption metrics here - by implementing the full solution
stack that we originally envisioned for ebXML - where the registry
provides a pivotal part, along with CPA, context, role, and templates
of transactions (aka SBS) so that partners can quickly align with
known patterns (CAM templates) based on knowing their context
and role.  If they have a BPSS available - then they can find that
even faster!

DW