ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: RE: [ubl-dev] SBS and Restricted Data Types

The challenge would be to determine which contraining facets should be
supported for which data types. One could support all constraining
facets for all W3C Schema data types, but - as you say - this would
require a fair bit of work. Also, unless one repeats the data type that
is in the UBL schema that is being subsetted, one would still need to
match the constraining facet (though an additional pass, perhaps -
depending on implementation) with the data type in the UBL schema to
ensure that that constraining facet is valid given the data type (e.g.
that there is not an "xsd:maxExclusive" facet specified for an
xsd:string data type).

One could support a selected set of constraining facets across-the-board
for all data types, and then document this as part of SBS - with the
notion that implementing a selected set means less costly
implementations, which is good for small business.

Another aspect to consider is this: All along during this thread, we
have been saying that in order to conform to UBL, an implementation of
UBL must not reject an instance that the normative schemas would not
reject. However, if an implementation restricts - without changing the
normative schemas - a string value to, for example, 30 characters, and
an instance is received that is 100 characters - which would be
considered valid according to the normative schemas - then we are saying
that the instance with 100 characters must not be rejected, or the
implementation is UBL non-conformant. This definition of conformance may
- I believe - therefore need to be relaxed, as how can one have it both
ways? (data type restrictions *and* UBL conformance).

Just some things to think about...

Joe

Joseph Chiusano
Associate