ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] SV: [ubl] Re: [ubl-dev] Datatype Methodology RE: [ubl-dev] SBS and Restricted Data Types

Ken,

Thanks for more great insights.

I was half tongue in cheek on the XML prologue deprecation - there was a
monster-thread over on XML-dev at one point about the evils of XML
prologue and how it should be expurged.

That horse is thoroughly out of the barn however - no bolting of doors
is bring that one back! ; -)

Totally concur on the "Thankfully the XML processor in an XML-aware
application handles
character set issues and delivers Unicode characters to the XML-aware
application regardless of the character set used to represent them."

We'd not be having much luck developing UBL without this foundation
stone!

DW

 -------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] SV: [ubl] Re: [ubl-dev] Datatype Methodology RE:
 [ubl-dev] SBS and  Restricted Data Types
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Wed, May 10, 2006 1:33 am
To: UBL-Dev <ubl-dev@lists.oasis-open.org>

At 2006-05-09 15:51 -0700, David RR Webber \(XML\) wrote:
>Thanks for the CRVL reference - I found -
>http://xml.coverpages.org/DSDL-Part7-200502.pdf and this looked
>comprehensive.

Yes, I believe that is the same document.

>Are there any XML usage samples out there too?

Not yet, it has not been completed.

>p.s. Sorry I forgot the XML prologue got deprecated - people still
>insist in putting <?xml version="1.0"?> everywhere though ; -)

Ah, is that what you meant?

Then for the archives I'll address my confusion from your earlier
note.  We were talking about the repertoire of the XML document.

The SGML Prologue includes a large section in order to indicate, by
enumeration, the allowed characters of the repertoire for an SGML
document.

XML never had that repertoire part of the prologue as it was one of
the things removed from the SGML features, but it does have in its
prologue the XML Declaration:

  <?xml version="1.0"?>

to describe the syntax and character set of the document (in place of
the SGML character prologue) and the DOCTYPE Declaration (the same as
the SGML prologue):

  <!DOCTYPE x [ ... ]>

In fact the XML Declaration is not deprecated, the standard says an
XML document "should" begin with an XML Declaration, so people
should, indeed, be putting it everywhere and not leaving it out.

Sorry I misunderstood what it was you were referring to.

As I mentioned to Steve, the character set of the document (as
declared in the XML Declaration) is orthogonal to the character
repertoire of the document (which is the subject of the new DSDL CRVL).

Thankfully the XML processor in an XML-aware application handles
character set issues and delivers Unicode characters to the XML-aware
application regardless of the character set used to represent them.

--
Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
Also for XSLT/XSL-FO training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04