ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Low level versioning

Fraser,

I very much believe versioning is needed to the element/attribute level
in an operational environment and using OASIS CAM this is very much
attainable / essential.

Therefore I'd pro-offer - if this is a key business need - then you
can use CAM templates to overlay this fine level of detail over the
base UBL schema between you are your partners.

As for UBL itself - since the version only changes periodically -
on a major release schedule - then the course grained ns approach
is probably sufficient.

DW

 -------- Original Message --------
Subject: [ubl-dev] Low level versioning
From: "Fraser Goffin" <goffinf@googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, May 17, 2006 10:00 am
<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

There has been some recent discussion in my organisation as to whether
there is a need to provide verion information for each
element/aggregate in our standard data model.

Currently versioning is only visible to implementers on the business
transaction level schema (namespace), that is, individual parts are
not individually versioned.

Does UBL provide individual version information for each business
entity, and are each of these visible when entities are combined to
form a business transaction ?

I have a feeling that traceability to the core data model needs to
reflect version, but I remain to be convinced about whether it is
necessary at this level at run-time.

All opinions welcome.

Fraser.