ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Re: Global elements doing UBL a disservice

I'm going to chime in briefly to get a better understand of needs ...
but I don't have a comment on substitution groups, but on
extensibility.  This impacts the work I'm trying to do with
extensibility in UBL.

At 2006-05-19 16:55 +0800, Chin Chee-Kai wrote:
>On schema extensibility, end-users defer extensions to developers
>and implementors, who then seek compatible ways to implement those
>business extensions.

Fine ...

>Schema has a couple of ways to allow that.

But with the recent efforts of Steve and Joe to demonstrate on this
list any extensibility using W3C Schema features, I think it is clear
the features are not sufficient to the task.

If developers and implementers implemented the business extensions
solely within the new extension point being provided in the next
draft UBL 2 then there (1) won't be a need to shoehorn insufficient
validation facilities and (2) implementations will be true to the
compatibility measurement with UBL 2 because all instances will
continue to validate according to the normative UBL 2 schemas
regardless of the embedded extensions.

I feel this compatibility test will promote interoperability and I
believe these benefits will outweigh possible implementation concerns.

--
Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
Also for XSL-FO/XSLT training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04