ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: "The Next Mail" - Global elements doing UBL a disservice

Assertion:  Defined UBL 1.0 main documents are admitting much larger
            corresponding data instance sets of their respective type
            than desirable.

This means that a UBL (1.0) Invoice main document, for instance,
describes and therefore causes schema validator to admit as valid
a much larger document instance set than the expected <Invoice>
document.

Similarly, the other 7 main documents suffer from the same weakness
in that they cause the schema validator to admit as valid much larger
data instance sets than what the main document schema appears to describe.

This is a list of 6 examples constructed to show the assertion.
Thanks to Ken & UBL members who packaged the UBL 1.0-cd2 package.
The examples were derived from the "cd2-UBL-1.0/xml/office/"
sample instance directory.  Both "UBL-Invoice-1.0.xml" and
"UBL-Order-1.0.xml" were used.
The attached archive includes :

"UBL-Invoice-Sub-1.xml" - showing <cac:OrderReference> being
                 admitted as a valid Invoice document,

"UBL-Invoice-Sub-2.xml" - showing <cac:BuyerParty> being
                 admitted as a valid Invoice document,

"UBL-Invoice-Sub-3.xml" - showing <cbc:IssueDate> being
                 admitted as a valid Invoice document,

"UBL-Invoice-Sub-4.xml" - showing <ccts:Component> being
                 admitted as a valid Invoice document,

"UBL-Order-Sub-1.xml" - showing <cac:InvoiceLine> being
                 admitted as a valid Order document,

I think it'll be easy for interested readers to construct more examples
after seeing the above.

I seek your help to try validating them on what schema validator you
have command over and, if possible, let the list know if the results
are the same.  The files should be unzipped into the same instance
subdirectory "cd2-UBL-1.0/xml/office/" for proper schema path resolution,
but otherwise has no effect on the results of the validation.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML
Tel: +65-6820-2979
Fax: +65-6820-2979
Email: cheekai@SoftML.Net
http://SoftML.Net/

>>Quoting Chin Chee-Kai <cheekai@softml.net>:

>>> Alright, I'm not here to start another religious debate on
>>> global vs local.  I only wish to point out that there're also
>>> disadvantages inherent in the way UBL schemas are currently designed,
>>> and what's "best" then doesn't seem the same now.
>>>
>>> In the next mail (when I get to it), I'll like to seek your help (again)
>>> to check if the results and conclusions I got make some sort of sense.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Chin Chee-Kai
>>> SoftML