ubl-dev message

Subject: NDR: 4.4 Attributes in UBL

In section 4.4 of the new draft of the UBL NDR, it says

"UBL, as a transactional based XML exchange format, has chosen to
significantly restrict the use of attributes. This restriction is in
keeping with the fact that attribute usage is relegated to
supplementary components only."

The rule that corresponded to this text has been struck.  Does that
mean that this restriction has been removed?

If the restriction is still meant to be included amongst the rules,
I'm curious about the proffered justification for the rule.  I can
think of some legitimate reasons for restricting the use of user-
defined attributes.  However, I can't see how disallowing user-
defined attributes has anything to do with UBL being a transactional
based exchange format.

The best reason I can think of for disallowing user-defined
attributes is that they potentially limit extensibility.  But one of
the things you give up is the ability to use attributes for more
efficient xml stream processing.

Does anyone have any insight into what the current justification is
for the disallowing user-defined attributes?