ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UUID

At 2006-09-02 13:25 +0800, Chin Chee-Kai wrote:
>I suppose "universally" has to exclude e-commerce to Pluto from now on...

:{)}

>Anyway, the UUID follows a specific algorithm to ensure that IDs generated by
>this same algorithm are all unique anywhere in the world and across time,
>with only extremely small and insignificant chances of collision (2 or more
>generated IDs are the same).
>
>So values stuffed into this field need to follow
>that algorithm in order to achieve
>uniqueness universally (within Earth).
>
>In the original poster's question, he's right to
>say different transmissions of
>the same business instance would use different UUID and same business ID.

Okay ... but now I'm curious about what
constitutes a "re-transmission".  If I get the
equivalent of a NAK at lower layers, I'm assuming
I can re-transmit the identical document until
the receiving system gives me an ACK that it has
been received.  Then, if my business process
needs to resend the business document, resending
could be seen as re-transmitting it if I
construed "resending" to be for business reasons
and "re-transmitting" for technical reasons.

Though it sounds like I would have to
reconstitute the business document so as to assign unique identifiers.

>That's theoretically though.  There may be practical difficulties in trying to
>replace different values of UUID into the instance prior to transmission,

Indeed!

>and
>retain the overall integrity of the
>digitally-signed instance if digital signature
>is used.  Need to look a bit more into this aspect I think.

Ouch ... I didn't think about signatures.

Can anyone comment on "protocols" of sending
business documents?  In UBL we have the
"ApplicationResponse" and I note its use in a
number of activity diagrams in PRD2 index.html.

It would seem to me that "ApplicationResponse" is
at a higher level, and that once a document
crosses the chasm from sender to receiver
successfully (that is, all lower levels have
appropriately acknowledged the document
transmission as having been completed without
error) the business response (i.e. the UBL
response) is to send the ApplicationResponse.

Tim, where and why are UUID values referenced
from *outside* the document to inside the
document?  From my XML experience I've very often
used ID values unique within a document for
self-referential purposes, while external
references to the ID values have been qualified
by the document to which I am referring.

So, if I guarantee my UUID is unique for every
item in every document, I can reference the item
without a document context, but I'm not sure this
is helpful if I can't backtrack to the business
document in which the UUID is found.  When, in
business, would I want to track an item of a
business document without needing the document context?

The corollary is "when would I be setting myself
up for problems if I treated UUID as only
*within* a business document context (for the
purposes of mimicking XML's ID/IDREF)?"

Thanks for your guidance.

--
UBL/XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Vårø, Denmark 2006-10-02/06,11-20/24
UBL International 2006  2006-11-13/17 http://www.ublconference.com