ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] UUID

I'm appreciating this discussion.

At 2006-09-04 02:58 -0600, stephen.green@systml.co.uk wrote:
>My feeling on this is that
>1) as a technical feature a UUID concept suggests uniqueness even
>between different copies of a document
>BUT
>2) as a business semantics feature it is required that the same UUID
>be used for separate copies of the same document

What would be the context of using the UUID from
outside the document for something like a line item?

>As such the UUID in UBL is a semantic feature and is there for
>business and legal purposes in the legal documents such as the Invoice

For what purpose?  And does the purpose change
given the information item being referenced?

>However I'm a little concerned that the suggested use for ID/IDREF
>overlaps a little with the requirement for a technical feature so if
>there is a temptation to place technical (1) requirements over semantics
>(2) then this temptation should be resisted and something designed for
>the technical added instead (e.g. actual XML ID/IDREF).

But the purpose of ID/IDREF is just for referencing

And it is too late now to add anything.

Plus there is a prohibition against attributes in
the NDR (though I happen to disagree with the
prohibition, I'm going with the flow).

>As an example to help demonstrate the importance of preserving the
>semantic business function consider an invoice number: One wouldn't
>expect a copy invoice to have a different invoice number to the original.

Fine ... for an invoice number ... but you rightly point out:

>As an example of the separate nature (separate 'layer' nature) of the
>technical requirements consider that a copy in the case of UBL is
>different from the original anyway by virtue of its having CopyIndicator
>set to true. Thus it is tempting to give such a document a different
>UUID if only the technical matter is considered and if the UUID BBIE
>is used for that there is obviously a breach of the semantic requirements.

Right ... and I don't mind (though it is a pain)
using all new UUID's for a copy of a document.

But given such a limited semantic definition of
"A computer-generated universally unique
identifier (UUID) for X" that doesn't appear to restrict its use.

What is the hesitation for using this value as a
reference from the extension area to the main body of the instance?

--
UBL/XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Vårø, Denmark 2006-10-02/06,11-20/24
UBL International 2006  2006-11-13/17 http://www.ublconference.com