ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBL Code List Value Validation Methodology version 0.7 Draft 1

At 2006-09-25 16:33 +0100, Stephen Green wrote:
>How about adding something for Identifiers too.

To the documentation?  As it stands trading
partners can add their own lists of coded values
associated with identifier-based information items.

>One example could be a pattern for UUIDs. Is
>there scope in genericode for this too.

Ahh ... patterns?  No.  But an enumeration of a
pattern, yes.  The humungous
ContainerSizeTypeCode-2.0.gc has an enumeration
of numerous combinations of patterned values.

>I guess
>one might assume that if it has a pattern and
>not a codelist then it is an Identifier and not
>a Code, but the margins do tend to blur.

Indeed ... but if you *really* wanted to
implement "pattern checking" then this could
probably be done as a business rule included with the synthesized coded rules.

Version 0.7 is modular in the use of Schematron
patterns (not the same meaning as "pattern" in
your phrase "pattern for UUIDs") ... the
methodology creates Schematron patterns that are
pulled together by users into Schematron
schemas.  To add to the constraints, users create
their own Schematron patterns and include them as
well into the Schematron schemas.

>I notice
>TaxCategory has an identifier in UBL 2, not a code.
>This would presumably cover tax codes such as
>L, A, X, Z ,etc which tend to have to be agreed
>between trading partners - in the UK, for VAT, at
>least. These are typical examples for this method
>but, as I say, are Identifiers rather than 'Codes'
>in UBL 2 so how would the methodology apply to
>them as it stands?

By created a "code list" in genericode of the
values allowed, with all the meta data and
documentation you wish, and then addressing the
related information items as if they were of type CodeType.

>If the methodology were
>extended to cover Identifiers then maybe it
>should cater for identifiers for which there are
>'codelists' (identifier lists :-) even if such lists have
>to be agreed between parties as with tax category
>'identifiers')

Right ... just by mimicking code lists with
identifier lists, but using genericode
expressions of both.  Of course you could modify
the generation of Schema patterns to use other
than genericode and pull in the Schematron
patterns into the final Schematron schema by some
as yet not considered expression language.

>but also for patterns such as for UUID.

But genericode doesn't express algorithmic combinations.

>The UUID would benefit from the methodology in
>that there would then be a more standard way to
>document in trading partner agreements the
>associated attribute values for schemeID, etc.
>For other identifiers these supplementary
>component metadata values would be more
>important to agree in advance and use for applying
>constraints in the secondary validations.

Well, enumerations are handled but algorithmic
patterns are not ... by genericode ... I'm not
sure how one could create an expression of the
pattern short of using regular expressions, but
regular expressions are not supported in XSLT
1.0.  That doesn't mean one couldn't come up with
an XSLT 2.0 implementation of Schematron which
would enable an outboard expression of the reg-ex
of the pattern you need to match ... but not in
the short time frame of what we can realistically produce.

Does it warrant adding to the 0.7 documentation
that the use of genericode files for an
enumeration of identifier values is not
inappropriate?  Just that that isn't done by
default (because there are no built-in
enumerations of identifiers in UBL; if there were
then this would have been done), and nothing prevents users from doing so.

--
UBL/XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Vårø, Denmark 2006-10-02/06,11-20/24
UBL International 2006  2006-11-13/17 http://www.ublconference.com