ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Restricting UBL datatypes by using xsd:redefine withUDTs

Hi Mark,

Good question of course. It depends what the end result
should be. The aim might be to have a tight schema set
(to use for secondation validation, like with codes and
business rules) which checks whether any dayatypes are
too long for processing but uses the same namespaces
as the UBL proper schema files - hence redefine. Mind you
I'm not sure I'd want to do this as it means agreeing a
set of contraints, perhaps, with business partners which
require that some valid uses of UBL be, in effect,
deprecated in the documents - where datatypes exceed the
limits - and this might not be proper in some respects.
It goes beyond the type of customisation we had envisiaged
for subsetting with the SBS since it is possible there to
accept any document which is valid against the standard
UBL schema set (but to excercise rules about the content
and how it is handled). For those content to forbid
certain elements in their received documents (and in a
position to do so), while using W3C XML Schema to do so,
this might seem a good way to avoid excesses of datatype
content so that their receiving software has less to do.
It's nice, for these, to know it can be done with redefine.

On the other hand there is not too much problem, folk tell
me, with just truncating strings, etc in ERPs etc and
pointing to the full XML documents in storage as XML where
necessary.

If we wanted to create new document types then it might
be that we would use the CCTS method of qualifying tighter
datatypes based on the ATG2 unqualified datatypes (or use
ATG2 qualified datatypes of course). This is a different
kind of solution though to a different kind of problem.
I'm not sure it answers the issues above, perhaps I'm wrong.

All the best

Stephen Green