ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Comments on UBL

At 11:06 PM 2006-11-14 -0600, david.lyon@preisshare.net wrote:
>Quoting Chin Chee-Kai <cheekai@SoftML.Net>:
>>
>>Did I see a syntax error or you're introducing a new variable naming
>>convention with "$" stuck to the rear?
>
>Yeah, I have been working on a streamlined markup which I'm thinking
>of launching next year at some conference. It prefixes all data elements
>eg, myname&="David" birthdata@=19660501 alive_still?=True Age#=39
>house_value$=489000

I see that you're "typing" manifest values to cast untyped variables
to the manifest type when the assignment occurs.  Something curious
to explore, though I wonder how far it could go with users who are
more keen to "get the data in" than to worry about the type of value
every time they make an assignment.  Value assignments like those
used in Excel would go down well, with software interpreting with
"best guesses" which user could overwrite.  Anyway, good luck to
launching it.

>I've had UBLish implementations running for a number of years in some
>manufacturing businesses and been quite busy ironing out the thousands
>of issues that come up.
>But now that that is coming to an end, I'm revisiting UBL to see "wazzup".

Glad to hear UBLish being of utility to mankind.
I hope the problems weren't due to UBLish, if so please let me know.

I'm also looking around at UBL v2 to see "what's up" and how UBLish
could be revised to take advantage of new technology embedded in
XPS 3.6.5p.

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML