ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Modeling multiple possible invoice totals based on payment means

The adjustment to the payment amount should be dealt with in a Remittance
Advice which should also be able to handle the different currency options.
The recipient of the monies can therefore book the invoice amount in the
invoiced currency against what is outstanding on accounts receivable and the
difference between invoice value and payment amount gets posted to a
revenue/cost item.

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: G. Ken Holman [mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com]
Sent: 06 January 2007 21:53
To: UBL-Dev
Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Modeling multiple possible invoice totals based on
payment means

Thank you for taking the time to answer, Fulton,

At 2007-01-06 16:04 -0500, Fulton Wilcox wrote:
>Quite apart from eBusiness, an invoice by definition will always have a
>single-number "total due," which represents "truth" as to the buyers'
>commitment as understood by the seller.

Interesting ... I can see that.

>On the other hand, conditional discounts and fees (e.g. a discount of
>1% for paying in less than 10 days, the discount you showed for using a
>credit card, the premium you showed for using EFT) are not current
>"truth," but projections of the results of optional, non-committed buyer
behaviors.

Good point.

>For there to be a different seller-recognized invoice total, the payer
>has to choose to pursue some non-base case payment option. Therefore,
>from the seller's perspective, the other totals you showed are mythical
>until the payment is received via an optional track.

That makes sense.

>Amounts due if the buyer elects other payment options therefore would
>not be conveyed in the invoice at all or would be appear as an advisory
>(pretty much as would happen in printing a physical invoice).

So I suppose such would be conveyed simply in the "notes" field?

Looking again after learning from your note, I just found "PaymentTerms" in
which is found associated amounts, etc.

So, perhaps then the invoice has the one total CAD$1000 and three different
payment terms:  the cheque (no charge), the EFT (charge), and the Internet
(charge + currency).

Only with your detailed explanation, Fulton, have I come around to this
understanding.  Thank you for your counsel!  Have a great day.

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/bc