ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Modeling multiple possible invoice totals based onpayment means

The presentation of an invoice from the buyer's perspective is an event
within the overall invoice reconciliation and payment process. That process
presents several nightmares that have prevented end-to-end automation.

In the short term, "keeping it simple" is essential for any hope of
adoption. By keeping it simple, I do not particularly mean keep UBL simple,
but rather keep the partner trading rules simple. Rococo pricing structures
and, as exemplified in this thread, special process fees and discounts
create a very difficult invoice reconciliation and payment processes.

What I have suggested to various players on both the purchasing and
market/sales side is to stay away from complexity, because the "gain" (if
any, in terms of incentives or revenue) is usually lost in the complexities
of administration. Stating the same thing more positively, what we need are
"eBusiness-friendly" contracts and pricing plans. Probably few people on
this list control commercial terms, but we do need to be more aggressive in
telling the people that do that the technology, although malleable, is not
infinitely malleable.

In a b-to-B world, the nightmares usually have to do with data and rule
disconnects between the seller's internal order-to-cash process and the
buyer's purchase to pay process - e.g., in terms of product nomenclature,
unit pricing, taxation etc. The seller's system is more likely to fail with
respect to customer identity and terms (e.g., multiple ship-to's,
contractual domain definitions that cannot logically be linked to customer
ship-to's, customer-customized terms, etc.). The buyer faces a difficult
data maintenance problem to manage data regarding hundreds of sellers'
invoices, products and terms and conditions.

With respect to Andrew's point that with respect to loan repayment "no
invoices pass between a lender and borrower," there are analogs in the more
traditional purchase to pay cycle as well. Indeed, the early advocates of
Reengineering cited "invoiceless payment" as the best way to eliminate
invoice reconciliation and payment administrative costs.

Those gains are still pretty elusive. Eliminating invoices means that the
customer has to become "smart" enough about the seller's business to be able
to compute the remittance advice without access to the invoice, because of
course none exists (Evaluated receipts, also known as two-way matching). The
buyer also picks up some tax computation reporting obligations. The buyer
also has convey more information in the remittance advice, but as noted in
this thread, that document stretches only so far.

With respect to "Evaluated Receipts" see the description below extracted
from an Australian governmental site.
http://www.agimo.gov.au/publications/2002/11/dbowg/trade

"Invoiceless trading

Several Commonwealth Government agencies are using 'invoiceless trading'
...also called Evaluated Receipt Settlement...the buyer pays the supplier
once goods and/or services have been provided satisfactorily (or at an
agreed period after receipt), without waiting to receive an invoice...
Under the [Australian] Goods and Service Tax (GST) arrangements, suppliers
are generally obliged to provide a tax invoice to the buyer...the Australian
Taxation Office (ATO) has issued a number of rulings relating to Recipient
Created Tax Invoices (RCTIs) which ... allow the buyer (the recipient) to
create a tax invoice in specified circumstances..."

Whatever the national or local jurisdiction, the interposition of taxes adds
complexity.

If one looks ahead to, say, UBL 5.0 or UBL 6.0, perhaps the "state of the
norm" of technology and systems design doctrine will have progressed to the
point that we can standardize the transfer not only of "data" (however much
enhanced by XML tags), but to transfer executable objects along with data
that can be grafted onto the buyer's purchase to pay system to automate the
"reconciliation" and pay choice options. Whether "transfer" means embed
executables and data in a document to be exchanged or point to it as some
web service or SAAS artifacts is another question.

Because business and data complexity have tended to proliferate options and
new data requirements, adoption of technology has lagged. Therefore, very
often buyers' purchase to pay and the sellers' sales order to cash cycles
are still most often "joined" through human rekeying and, whether automated
or manual, exhibit very low Sigma.

						Fulton Wilcox
						Colts Neck Solutions LLC